As a headteacher or a member of a senior leadership team (SLT), it's important to know how UK school governance works and all of its complexities. But with the right tools and help, it can be much easier to get around in this complicated world. One such resource that I have found to be incredibly helpful is "My School Governance Handbook" by Al Kingsley.
The book is set up in a way that makes it easy to understand and follow, which makes it a great resource for both new and experienced school leaders. It starts by providing a full overview of the legal and regulatory frameworks that govern schools in the UK, including important ones like the Equality Act 2010 and the Education Act 1996.
Al then gets into the details of school governance. He talks about things like the roles and responsibilities of governing boards and committees, how important it is to communicate well, and how hard it is to manage budgets and finances in a school setting. In the book, he uses real-world examples and tips to explain the concepts he discusses. This makes it simple to comprehend and apply the information to your own school or district in accordance with UK school governance guidelines.
One of the most interesting things about this book is that Al doesn't shy away from talking about tough and controversial issues that can come up in school governance. He talks openly about things like safety, student behavior, and how politics affects education, and he gives real-world solutions to these problems. Al's way of doing things is refreshingly practical.
Quotes from the book:
- "Effective school governance is about working collaboratively and strategically to ensure that every student receives a high-quality education."
- "Governing boards have a crucial role in shaping the strategic direction of their schools, ensuring that resources are allocated effectively and that the needs of all students are met."
- "Good governance is not just about complying with regulations and policies, but about developing a culture of accountability and transparency."
- "Communication is key in effective school governance, and governing boards must ensure that they are communicating effectively with all stakeholders."
- "Schools must ensure that they are meeting the needs of all students, including those with disabilities, in accordance with legal requirements and best practice."
- "Managing budgets and finances can be a complex and challenging aspect of school governance, but it is essential to ensure that resources are allocated effectively."
- "Effective school governance requires a commitment to continuous improvement, with governing boards regularly reviewing and evaluating their own performance."
- "School safety is a top priority for all schools, and governing boards must ensure that they have robust policies and procedures in place to keep students and staff safe."
- "Governing boards must be aware of the impact of politics on education and must ensure that they are making decisions based on what is best for students, rather than political agendas."
- "Student discipline is an important aspect of school governance, and governing boards must ensure that their schools have clear policies and procedures in place to promote positive behavior and manage behavior that falls outside of acceptable norms."
Overall, "My School Governance Handbook" by Al Kingsley is a must-have book for anyone who is involved in running a school. It gives you a complete and useful guide to the legal and regulatory frameworks as well as the day-to-day challenges of school governance. I highly recommend it to anyone looking to improve their understanding and effectiveness in this important field.